Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Joys of Womanhood

Recently I started thinking about mastectomies. I heard that some women who are at risk for breast cancer get them as preventative measures to reduce the risk. Then I read about this documentary (In the Family) about a 31 year-old woman who was at risk for ovarian and breast cancer and is faced with making the decision of not just a mastectomy but also a hysterectomy. At 31 she has to decide whether or not she wants to risk her life to have kids or to be safe and find other options for a family. Today I came across the following article on Jezebel about how doctors are debating what to take out when performing a hysterectomy (the cervix!??! eeeeek!) and I had a minor breakdown. I know my hysterectomy is coming but I didnt' know what to expect except pain "worse than childbirth" as my mom says. But now, with all of this and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with my womanhood.

The trailer for "In the Family" is here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home